Under review

Buffer cannot be adjusted for icecast streams

Calvin Redding 12 years ago updated by Jona (Lead Developer) 12 years ago 10

Hello,

I have a samsung vibrant running 2.2 but my problem is with 2.3.  
I have a police scanner that I broadcast using icecast.  I also broadcast via radioreference.com (I'm not sure exactly how they serve audio).  I listen to my icecast stream in my car.
When I upgrade my rom to a 2.3 based rom (say, cyanogen), xiialive (2.2.4 free) always buffers for 15 seconds of time.  I have tried in my icecast settings disabling burst on connect and setting the burst-size to one.  Same problem.  I broke down and tried a pirated pro version of xiialive (2.1.6) and manually set both buffers to 1000ms and it still buffers for 15 seconds. 

What's weird is, when I listen via radioreference (the m3u on this page):http://m.radioreference.com/?feedId=7059  it buffers for about 3 seconds.  It's only on my icecast feed http://184.91.43.57:8001/listen.m3u that it has the delay problem.  Unfortunately their feed is 16k and mine is 48k.

I will absolutely purchase your app if you can tell me how to fix this (perhaps a config problem on my end?) or that it will be addressed in a future release.  I am at my wit's end and have googled the shit out of this problem.  I used to use streamfurious but the developer has basically abandoned it, leaving you guys as the last ones standing.

I'm going to include a link to my stream.

I'm begging you, please help me.  Tell me something anything that might help.

Thanks so much,

Calvin

Answer

Answer
Under review
Generally custom ROMs have issues with the android media framework causing XiiaLive to behave strangely on some occasions.  I would recommend you try our internal stream engine.  You can enable this engine by going to settings->advanced users and setting "Internal stream engine" to ON.
Answer
Under review
Generally custom ROMs have issues with the android media framework causing XiiaLive to behave strangely on some occasions.  I would recommend you try our internal stream engine.  You can enable this engine by going to settings->advanced users and setting "Internal stream engine" to ON.
I purchased the current version on the market, switched to internal engine, and when I try to listen to my stream I get "unexpected stop".
I looked over the issue you are having and I was able to see the stream crashing with the internal stream engine.  I have added this issue to my notes to get that fixed.  It might take a little time to fix it since we are working full out on a new update.  In regards to the playlist url you provided it doesn't work for me...

http://184.91.74.173:8001/listen.mp3 is the current one.  I haven't setup any dns redirection yet, sorry.

I was trying to get working on this issue but URL not working... :(
I just emailed the current ip to support.
Thanks! Just looked into it and saw something that might be causing this issue.  You can try setting your server meta intervals higher than 2048 instead of 1000?  This could potentially resolve the issue for now.  However this is a bug on our side.
I tried 2100 and 4096 (restarted the icecast server after each icecast.xml change) and it still gives the unexpected error message instantly.

Edit: I also wanted to ask (verify, I guess) that if you use the ffmpeg engine, does it still take the buffer level you set into account?
What device do you have? and what Android version is it running? Collecting the logs for this error could help me figure out what could be the cause.
Ok got the logs... Could you disable icy-tags under settings stream? That's where I'm seeing this failing.
I also wanted to add I'm happy to share my icecast configuration, let you rdp in, whatever helps.